[libvirt] managed save and autoboot

Daniel Berteaud daniel at firewall-services.com
Tue May 18 13:15:48 UTC 2010

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to auto-suspend my guests when the host shutdown using the
managedsave function introduced in libvirt 0.8.0.

If I manually managedsave all my guest, then manually start all of the
guest with virsh start <guest>, everything works as expected, the saved
state is restored.

But there's a problem with the autoboot option:

- I configure a guest to automatically start on host boot (virsh
autostart guest)

- I save this guest (virsh managedsave guest)

- I restart libvirt to simulate a host reboot

The guest is started normally, instead of loading the saved state (and
the saved state is still present
in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save/guest.save, which means next manual boot
will probably fails)

So, it looks like there's a difference in the way libvirt starts guests
between autoboot and a manual virsh start.

Anybody else have this issue ?
Is this a known issue ?

I'm running libvirt 0.8.1 on a CentOS 5.5 x86_64 box

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Berteaud
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.