[libvirt] managed save and autoboot

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue May 18 13:39:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 03:15:48PM +0200, Daniel Berteaud wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm trying to auto-suspend my guests when the host shutdown using the
> managedsave function introduced in libvirt 0.8.0.
>
> If I manually managedsave all my guest, then manually start all of the
> guest with virsh start <guest>, everything works as expected, the saved
> state is restored.
>
> But there's a problem with the autoboot option:
>
> - I configure a guest to automatically start on host boot (virsh
> autostart guest)
>
> - I save this guest (virsh managedsave guest)
>
> - I restart libvirt to simulate a host reboot
>
> The guest is started normally, instead of loading the saved state (and
> the saved state is still present
> in /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save/guest.save, which means next manual boot
> will probably fails)
>
> So, it looks like there's a difference in the way libvirt starts guests
> between autoboot and a manual virsh start.
>
> Anybody else have this issue ?
> Is this a known issue ?
>
> I'm running libvirt 0.8.1 on a CentOS 5.5 x86_64 box
>
> Regards, Daniel

You'll need the initscript support for the managed save feature,
patches for which are on-list now waiting for ACKs. Otherwise
"autostart" doesn't really know anything about your saved VMs, only
the ones you've set to autostart.

--Hugh

Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com, +1-215-564-3232
Deltacloud API + Portal http://deltacloud.org