[libvirt] managed save and autoboot

Daniel Berteaud daniel at firewall-services.com
Tue May 18 13:45:07 UTC 2010

Le mardi 18 mai 2010 à 15:36 +0200, Jiri Denemark a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> > I'm trying to auto-suspend my guests when the host shutdown using the
> > managedsave function introduced in libvirt 0.8.0.
>
> FYI, I just posted a second version of libvirt-guests init script which seems
> to be doing exactly the same thing...

Yep, I saw that, I've actually written something like this on my own
server (but not very clean for now, that's why I haven't shared it yet)

> > So, it looks like there's a difference in the way libvirt starts guests
> > between autoboot and a manual virsh start.
>
> Ah, yes, the code path is different for both cases :-( This needs to be fixed,
> thanks for spotting it.

If this is fixed, then, the save/restore script could be much more
simple. All it have to do is a managedsave on every running or paused
guest. Then, when libvirt start on host boot, all the guest configured
to autoboot would be started, and restored from the saved state if
available, or normally started.

Guests which have been saved on shutdown, but not configured for
autoboot can stay stpped, until the admin start them manually (and then,
they will be restored from the saved state).

Regards

--
Daniel Berteaud
FIREWALL-SERVICES SARL.