[libvirt] "transient" vs "temporary"

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 10:59:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 07:29:45PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While writing up the descriptions for persistent vs transient
> objects (domains, virtual networks, etc), I'm personally finding
> the word "temporary" seems a better fit than "transient".
>
> Is there anything particularly wrong with using "temporary" in
> this context instead?
>
> Thinking that if "temporary" is ok, I'll do a search-n-replace,
> changing "transient" to "temporary" across docs (and any code).
>
> Bad idea?

I prefer the existing terminology of transient+persistent & don't
think changing it has any real benefit and the downside that since
you can't change all existing content/files out in the wild, we'll
get a mix of temporary vs transient forever more.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|