[libvirt] Experimental 32-bit windows libvirt installer

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Sun Nov 14 14:18:43 UTC 2010

Hi all,

If people have time to try out a tentative first "Libvirt Windows Installer", it's
online here:

  http://libvirt.org/sources/win32_experimental/Libvirt-0.8.5-0.exe

At the moment it includes the libvirt development headers and libraries
for compiling against, plus the virsh shell with it's needed dependencies,
and that's about it.

It's been compiled on Windows 7 x86_64, but (in theory) might also work
on earlier windows versions like Vista and XP. (not yet tested)

A couple of notes:

 + This installer is _not_ production ready.  More like early, early stage
    alpha. ;)

 + This installer just repackages the files compiled using Matthias
    Bolte's msys_setup scripting:

      https://github.com/photron/msys_setup

 + This is a .exe installer, created using NSIS.  Mathias Bolte mentioned,
    it might be a better idea to use something that creates .msi files, which
    I kind of agree with.  So, next versions will probably not be NSIS based,
    but no idea what they will be based upon yet.

 + The only connection type I've tried, and that's known to work for sure,
    is qemu+tcp://.  qemu+ssh:// doesn't work on windows (at this stage),
    and qemu+tls:// (on windows) doesn't work due to a problem with
    GnuTLS.

    If anyone has time to look into the GnuTLS problem, that would be really
    helpful. :)

 + This version includes Python bindings, but I haven't tried/tested them. :)

 + Suggestions for what else to include are welcome.  ie. other bindings (C#,
     what else?), and so on

 + The NSIS installer scripting is on github if anyone's interested:

      https://github.com/justinclift/nsis_libvirt_installer

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift