[libvirt] rbd storage pool support for libvirt

Sage Weil sage at newdream.net
Thu Nov 18 17:13:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:33:07PM -0800, Josh Durgin wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,

> > >And also Sheepdog storage volumes. To define a syntax for all these we need
> > >to determine what configuration metadata is required at a per-VM level for
> > >each of them. Then try and decide how to represent that in the guest XML.
> > >It looks like at a VM level we'd need a hostname, port number and a volume
> > >name (or path).
> >
> > It looks like that's what Sheepdog needs from the patch that was
> > submitted earlier today. For RBD, we would want to allow multiple hosts,
> > and specify the pool and image name when the QEMU librados driver is
> > used, e.g.:
> >
> >     <disk type="rbd" device="disk">
> >       <driver name="qemu" type="raw" />
> >       <source vdi="image_name" pool="pool_name">
> >         <host name="mon1.example.org" port="6000">
> >         <host name="mon2.example.org" port="6000">
> >         <host name="mon3.example.org" port="6000">
> >       </source>
> >       <target dev="vda" bus="virtio" />
> >     </disk>
> >
> > Does this seem like a reasonable format for the VM XML? Any suggestions?
>
> I'm basically wondering whether we should be going for separate types for
> each of NBD, RBD & Sheepdog, as per your proposal & the sheepdog one earlier
> today. Or type to merge them into one type 'nework' which covers any kind of
> network block device, and list a protocol on the  source element, eg
>
>      <disk type="network" device="disk">
>        <driver name="qemu" type="raw" />
>        <source protocol='rbd|sheepdog|nbd' name="...some image identifier...">
>          <host name="mon1.example.org" port="6000">
>          <host name="mon2.example.org" port="6000">
>          <host name="mon3.example.org" port="6000">
>        </source>
>        <target dev="vda" bus="virtio" />
>      </disk>

That would work...

One thing that I think should be considered, though, is that both RBD and
NBD can be used for non-qemu instances by mapping a regular block device
via the host's kernel.  And in that case, there's some sysfs-fu (at least
in the rbd case; I'm not familiar with how the nbd client works) required
to set up/tear down the block device.

I think the ideal would be if either method (qemu or kernel driver) could
be used, and libvirt could take care of that process of setting up the
block device so that RBD (and/or NBD) can be used with non-qemu instances.
If that means totally separate <disk> descriptions for the two scenarios,
that's fine, as long as there's a way for a storage pool driver to be used
to set up both types of mappings...

sage