[libvirt] Bootstrap fail, but non-useful message :/

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Nov 29 23:51:10 UTC 2010

On 11/29/2010 06:23 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Just ran ./autogen.sh on an OSX box with only the system provided
> autotools installed, and got this:

> Copying file po/remove-potcdate.sin
> ./bootstrap: patching m4/gettext.m4 to remove need for intl/* ...
> ./bootstrap: glibtoolize -c -f ...
> glibtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `build-aux'.
> glibtoolize: copying file `build-aux/ltmain.sh'
> glibtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
> glibtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
> glibtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
> glibtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
> glibtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
> glibtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
> ./bootstrap: aclocal -I gnulib/m4 --force -I m4  ...
> configure.ac:13: warning: macro `AM_SILENT_RULES' not found in library

Warning, but harmless.  We might be able to silence it by doing:

m4_apply([AM][_SILENT_RULES], [[yes]])

in configure.ac instead of our direct call to

AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])

> ./bootstrap: autoconf --force ...
> configure.ac:60: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.

Hmm.  This error seems independent of whether pkg-config is correctly
installed - it is complaining about a missing autoconf macro.  What
version of automake and autoconf are installed to begin with?  Bootstrap
documents that we require 2.59, and 2.59 does provide AC_MSG_ERROR, so I
can't figure out how it isn't getting expanded.  But bootstrap shouldn't
have let you get this far if autoconf was older than 2.59.  About the
only other thing I can think to do is add AC_PREREQ([2.59]) near the
beginning of configure.ac to give up early if autoconf is too old but
got past the bootstrap check anyway.  But if your autoconf version
really is too old, it would be better to patch bootstrap to get the
version check right.

> configure.ac:512: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_NOTICE

Same category as AC_MSG_ERROR.

> configure.ac:627: error: possibly undefined macro: PKG_CHECK_MODULES

Yep, back to the analysis of not finding pkg-config .m4 files.  Maybe
it's a matter of aclocal not looking in the correct directories for
installed .m4 files?