[libvirt] Interesting "Mobile apps" food for thought

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 10:00:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 05:20:50PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> Just came across this.  There's a Linux distribution based off of
> Centos, called ClearOS, that's targeted at a router/gateway/vpn/etc.
>
> They've designed their own API for managing things (nice looking
> site), and people are creating nifty looking visual mobile apps for it.
>
>   http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/developer/api/start
>
> Here's screenshot of an Android app, monitoring bandwidth on a
> remote host (worth looking at):
>
>   http://www.clearfoundation.com/docs/_detail/developer/api/android_monitor02.png?id=developer%3Aapi%3Astart
>
> This is the kind of thing I can see people making virt apps for, as
> we get our doc coverage done properly, mobile friendly API's
> well documented, and our Community really built. :)

By "mobile friend APIs" I assuming you mean XML-RPC / HTTP+REST. It could
certainly be interesting to have a web services daemon that you could
run on each libvirt host to map the libvirt API to HTTP. (Or something
that plugs into Apache or one of the tiny HTTP servers aimed at the
"embedded" web services. Dunno who's going to write such a thing though...

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|