[libvirt] rbd storage pool support for libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 10:38:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 06:04:50PM -0800, Josh Durgin wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 04:33 PM, Josh Durgin wrote:
> >Hi Daniel,

> >>And also Sheepdog storage volumes. To define a syntax for all these we
> >>need
> >>to determine what configuration metadata is required at a per-VM level
> >>for
> >>each of them. Then try and decide how to represent that in the guest XML.
> >>It looks like at a VM level we'd need a hostname, port number and a
> >>volume
> >>name (or path).
> >
> >It looks like that's what Sheepdog needs from the patch that was
> >submitted earlier today. For RBD, we would want to allow multiple hosts,
> >and specify the pool and image name when the QEMU librados driver is
> >used, e.g.:
> >
> ><disk type="rbd" device="disk">
> ><driver name="qemu" type="raw" />
> ><source vdi="image_name" pool="pool_name">
> ><host name="mon1.example.org" port="6000">
> ><host name="mon2.example.org" port="6000">
> ><host name="mon3.example.org" port="6000">
> ></source>
> ><target dev="vda" bus="virtio" />
> ></disk>
> >
> >As you mentioned earlier, we could just use the existing source format
> >for the kernel RBD driver.
> >
> >Does this seem like a reasonable format for the VM XML? Any suggestions?
>
> Also, it would be convenient to be able to specify which RBD driver to
> use in the guest XML, so that it's independent of the libvirt pool
> configuration. Would having two different rbd disk types be the right
> approach here?

What do you mean by  RBD driver here ? kernel vs native QEMU ? If so,
the kernel case is trivially handled by the <disk type='block'> case,
so we only need new syntax for the native QEMU impl

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|