[libvirt] Bootstrap fail, but non-useful message :/

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Mon Nov 29 14:26:24 UTC 2010

Justin Clift wrote:
> On 30/11/2010, at 12:35 AM, Matthias Bolte wrote:
>> Looks like the system is missing pkg-config, or at least has the .m4
>> file is in an unexpected place so that autoconf can't find it.
>>
>> bootstrap checks for pkg-config, so the binary is probably there, but
>> that doesn't mean that autoconf can find the corresponding .m4 file,
>> if it's there at all.
>
> Interesting.  When installing autoconf, MacPorts also installs a newer m4
> than the system provided one too.
>
> I wonder if there's a better way to cope with this m4 related failure scenario,
> than the text presently being given?

I'm sure there is, but is it worth it?
If lots of developers hit this, then maybe...

For now, your best bet might be to build the latest versions
of those tools yourself, e.g., via this script:
http://people.redhat.com/meyering/autotools-install

Once you've downloaded it, run

    bash autotools-install --help