[libvirt] virt-install feature request

Stanley, Jon [Tech] Jon.Stanley at gs.com
Fri Oct 1 20:19:26 UTC 2010

So virt-install is a really nice piece of software, but it's a bit too complicated for our use case :).

We would want some mode of it to simply generate XML and go home :).  The use case is that we have a script which carries out a number of other actions in addition to creating a guest, and creating a guest and putting an OS on it are two separate steps.

It would also be nice to have some command line interface to modify a guest's boot selection, for example, changing from PXE to local disk.  Even nicer would be a concept of boot order - we have a setup where the first normal boot order is PXE, and if that fails (which it should a majority of the time) then go to local disk.