[libvirt] Valid characters in domain names?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Oct 4 06:55:56 UTC 2010

On 10/04/2010 05:38 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
<snip>
>    Actually I think that for ESX since all exchanges with the hypervisor
> are XML based there isn't that ambiguity about encoding at least.

Yeah.  vSphere has a fairly international market, so expecting they'd
have a way of doing things by now to make sure this isn't a problem.

>    goes beyond that, someone using any non-ascii name will hit hypervisor
> specific behaviour, ISO-Latin, asian language ... and we habe no control
> over this except for some checking and the possibility of a warning.

Wonder what the best approach will be.  Maybe a whitelist on "known
good" characters, and a conversion table for situations where we need
to proceed anyway?  (if that happens)