[libvirt] bug: network lock-out

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Thu Oct 7 07:56:16 UTC 2010

On 10/06/2010 05:23 PM, Laine Stump wrote:
>  On 10/05/2010 03:53 PM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>> I've removed dnsmasq because it was giving away IP addresses, although
>> DHCP has not been defined in XML. I've mentioned this some time ago in
>> an e-mail with poetic subj: "dnsmasq, dhcp - bug or feature" :)
>
> I tried changing my default network to remove the <dhcp> section,
> restarted the network, and rebooted a guest to try and acquire an
> address from DHCP - it failed. Can you do "ps -AlF | grep dnsmasq" at a
> time when you see this behavior, and send that. Perhaps there was
> another dnsmasq hanging around listening on that interface? (I think
> it's possible that dnsmasq sometimes isn't terminated if libvirtd crashes)
>
> --

Hanging dnsmasq was either the case or it has been fixed in 0.8.4. I
sometimes suspect dnsmasq doesn't get restarted at all, although
libvirtd/network does.

Another "workaround" seems to be eg. range 192.168.1.0/24;
192.168.1.1/24 at interface; leases 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.1. This is
from ISC DHCPd where you have to provide leases for pool with static
(IP:MAC) hosts.

Thanks,
Zdenek

--