[libvirt] Improving our ChangeLog format?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Oct 14 12:40:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 01:06:56PM +0200, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> 2010/10/14 Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>:
> > On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 08:55:24PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> >>   The PostgreSQL ChangeLog:
> >>   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/release-9-0.html
> >
> > I don't believe that this corresponds to the output of the script
> > you show above. This page is a hand-written change summary.
> > That script above gives formatted commit logs. There's no enough
> > structured info in commit messages to be able to generate a page
> > like the one above.
> >
> >>   Our ChangeLog:
> >>   http://libvirt.org/news.html
> >>

> >> Mentioning this in case anyone has the time/inclination to look into
> >> it.  Any takers? :)
> >
> > I don't disagree that our news file is somewhat unreadable. We can't
> > automate this though - it needs manual work to create it.
> >

> We could split the huge comma seperated lists of items per <li> into a
> second level of <li>'s to avoid this large blocks of text.

  This would run into incredibly long logs per release !
I was doing that in the very first releases see (bottom of news.html)
I could change that to something more linear. Maybe adding a <br />
at the end of each line would be sufficient though, and may take
sligtly less place than a sub list.
I don't really care either way, it would be easy to fix,