[libvirt] libvirt library binary name for linux

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 13:58:27 UTC 2010

[Would you mind changing your style to avoid top-posting?]

On 10/19/2010 06:31 AM, arnaud.champion at devatom.fr wrote:
> ?Okay, I have found it, I must use "libc.so.6" and the function name is
> strdup not _strdup...

Windows prefixes all system functions with _, Linux does not.

strdup() is required by POSIX 2008 but not C99.  Windows libc has the
notorious habit of providing only what is required by C89 (not even
C99); which means MSVCRT might not have strdup by default.  However, I
do know that mingw provides strdup(); maybe there's a difference between
what mingw and native microsoft tools provide.

> So, it push to an other questions :
>
> Is libc.so.6 present on any linux distro ? (I use a fedora 13 here)

Libc is present on EVERY system, Linux or otherwise; otherwise, you
wouldn't be able to run C programs.