[libvirt] Initial working Mac OS X libvirt client build

Ruben Kerkhof ruben at rubenkerkhof.com
Mon Oct 25 01:18:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 02:46, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/24/2010 09:33 AM, Ruben Kerkhof wrote:
> <snip>
>> None at all, actually. I just started libvirtd on my local mac on
>> which I also have VirtualBox installed.
>> Speaking of which, it would be nice to have a launchctl file for
>> libvirtd. I might be able to come up with something...
>
> Please do. It'd be nice to have that part working "out of the box" for
> people as well. :)

For that to work, I'd like to run libvirtd as my own user, so I can
add the launchtl file to my own Library directory.

I'm curious, can you successfully run libvirtd as your own user (no sudo)?

03:10:17.562: error : qemudListenUnix:582 : Failed to bind socket to
'@/Users/ruben/.libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory

Stepping through the code now, I see 2 (possible) issues:

First: qemudInitPaths doesn't seem to create the ~/.libvirt directory
Second: in qemudListenUnix, this piece of code:

addr.sun_family = AF_UNIX;
    if (virStrcpyStatic(addr.sun_path, path) == NULL) {
        VIR_ERROR(_("Path %s too long for unix socket"), path);
        goto cleanup;
    }
    if (addr.sun_path[0] == '@')
        addr.sun_path[0] = '\0';

So the first byte of the sun_path is '\0', something that Leopard
doesn't seem to like.
Breaking into gdb and setting the path manually to
"/Users/ruben/.libvirt/libvirt-sock" seems to work.

Regards,

Ruben