[libvirt] Xen: Stream-API or XML-RPC or XenAPI for managedSave, snapshots

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 16:05:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 04:56:03PM +0200, Philipp Hahn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> for our project I need libvirts "managed save" functionality for Xen-3.4. In
> my implementation I tried to use Xens 'suspend' and 'resume', which would
> nicely match, but these two functions are not available throu the legacy
> streaming API (xend-http-server, xend-unix-server), which libvirt seems to
> still use. They are available throu the XML-RPC interface and the XenAPI
> interface, which libvirt doesn't seem to use.

There is a XenAPI driver in recent libvirt. Accessible with xenapi://hostname:port/

I'm not sure that 'suspend'/'resume' map to "managed save". suspend/resume
are basically just pausing CPUs afaik, and this is already done in libvirt
APIs.  Managed save is about saving guest state in a standard location
and automagically restoring from that upon guest boot.

> I also will need to look at snapshots next: Has someone already investigated
> adding snapshot support to Xen(-3.4)?

Not that I'm aware of

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|