[libvirt] Xen: Stream-API or XML-RPC or XenAPI for managedSave, snapshots

Philipp Hahn hahn at univention.de
Wed Oct 27 18:17:10 UTC 2010

Hello Daniel.

Am Mittwoch 27 Oktober 2010 18:05:50 schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> > for our project I need libvirts "managed save" functionality for Xen-3.4.
> > In my implementation I tried to use Xens 'suspend' and 'resume', which
> > would nicely match, but these two functions are not available throu the
> > legacy streaming API (xend-http-server, xend-unix-server), which libvirt
> > seems to still use. They are available throu the XML-RPC interface and
> > the XenAPI interface, which libvirt doesn't seem to use.
>
> There is a XenAPI driver in recent libvirt. Accessible with
> xenapi://hostname:port/

Thanks you for the hint, I'll take a look.

> I'm not sure that 'suspend'/'resume' map to "managed save". suspend/resume
> are basically just pausing CPUs afaik, and this is already done in libvirt
> APIs.  Managed save is about saving guest state in a standard location
> and automagically restoring from that upon guest boot.

Don't confuse libvirts naming with Xens naming:
libvirt.suspend = xen.pause
libvirt.resume = xen.unpause
libvirt.managedsave = xen.suspend
libvirt."managed start" = xen.resume

> > I also will need to look at snapshots next: Has someone already
> > investigated adding snapshot support to Xen(-3.4)?
>
> Not that I'm aware of

I'll give it a try when time permits.

Sincerely
Philipp Hahn
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for Your Business        fon: +49 421 22 232- 0

Besuchen Sie uns auf unseren nächsten Veranstaltungen:
26. - 28.10.: IT & Business 2010 in Stuttgart
27. - 28.10.: MODERNER STAAT 2010 in Berlin
http://www.univention.de/univention/termine/veranstaltungstermin/