[libvirt] virt-top version bump in EPEL5

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Sep 6 17:06:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 04:58:42PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 05:46:03PM +0200, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> > * Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> [2010-09-06 17:23]:

> > > I bet both of these will be libvirt issues.
> > >
> > > Try running:
> > >
> > > virsh list --all
> >
> > Takes around 2-4s depending on dom0 load.
>
> CC-ing to libvir-list.  There may be a better way now for virt-top to
> get the list of domains, but if 'virsh list --all' is also slow, then
> it's probably a generic libvirt problem.
>
> > > virsh domblkstat DomainName hda
> >
> > s/hda/xvda/ I guess :)
> > This one is quite fast, below 0.2s.
> >
> > > virsh domifstat DomainName vnet0
> >
> > This takes around 0.1s most of the time, but sometimes around 1.0s.
> >
> > > etc.
> > >
> > > If those commands (done in a suitable loop) also cause load on the
> > > dom0, and if domblkstat/domifstat don't show stats, then it's down to
> > > libvirt.
> > >
> > > virt-top is a simple little program that just exercises those libvirt
> > > APIs ...
> >
> > Hmm :/ So I guess we're better off with xentop...
>
> We should be able to have performance very close to xentop.  After
> all, libvirt makes exactly the same direct hypervisor calls.

It depends on which API calls virt-top makes. The virConnectListDomains
goes to XenStore (fast), virDomainLookupByID/UUID go to HV (fast). The
possibly bad ones are virConnectDefinedDomains goes to /etc/xen (fast)
or XenD (slow) and  virDomainLookupByName goes to XenD (slow).

virsh list --all is slow because inactive domains requires using those
latter two APIs which hit XenD. virt-top/xentop shouldn't care about
inactive domains though, since they've obviously no interesting CPU
time to report :-)

In a perfect world you'd also want to use the lifecycle events, so you
only need call ListDomains/ListDefinedDomains once, and then get explicit
notifications of new virDomainPtr instances without any need todo a lookup.

Regads,
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|