[libvirt] kqemu

Zvi Dubitzky DUBI at il.ibm.com
Fri Sep 10 07:26:05 UTC 2010

Hi
I could not get an answer from the users list . Maybe here someone can
give some advice .

we have a Linux 64 bit system with qemu 0.9.1-10 ( uname -a  =
2.6.26-2-amd64)  installed . kvm is included and loaded to memory .
Still when we create a VM  we sometimes get the following error message:

libvir: QEMU error : internal error unable to start guest: You do not have

enough space in '/dev/shm' for the 499 MB of QEMU virtual RAM.
To have more space available provided you have enough RAM and swap, do as
root:
mount -o remount,size=515m /dev/shm
Or disable the accelerator module with -no-kqemu

After we do the mount (as advised)  we can create the VM . Does the error
mean that kvm is
not active ? It seems that kqemu is an old way to do the duties of kvm e.g
supply memory to VMs via /dev/shm . Is there a way to avoid that error ? I
guess the  -no-kqemu should be
to qemu but we do not have control over the invokation of qemu by libvirt.

thanks

Zvi Dubitzky
Email:dubi at il.ibm.com