[libvirt] RFC [1/3]: The internal lock manager API

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Sun Sep 12 12:22:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 17:00 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> [...]
>  * started. The format of @name varies according to
>  * the resource @type. A VIR_LOCK_MANAGER_RESOURCE_TYPE_DISK
>  * will have a fully qualified file path.
>  *
>  * If no flags are given, the resource is assumed to be
>  * used in exclusive, read-write mode. Access can be
>  * relaxed to readonly, or shared read-write.
>  */
> int virLockManagerAcquireResource(virLockManagerPtr manager,
>                                   const gchar *file,
>                                   unsigned int flags);
>
> /**
>  * virLockManagerReleaseResource:
>  * @manager: the lock manager context
>  * @type: the resource type virLockManagerResourceType
>  * @name: the resource name
>  * @flags: the resource access flags
>  *
>  * Dynamically release a resource for a running process.
>  * This may only be called after the process has been
>  * started. The format of @name varies according to
>  * the resource @type. A VIR_LOCK_MANAGER_RESOURCE_TYPE_DISK
>  * will have a fully qualified file path.
>  *
>  * If no flags are given, the resource is assumed to be
>  * used in exclusive, read-write mode. Access can be
>  * relaxed to readonly, or shared read-write.
>  */
> int virLockManagerReleaseResource(virLockManagerPtr manager,
>                                   const gchar *file,
>                                   unsigned int flags);
>
> /**
>  * virLockManager:
>  * @manager: the lock manager context
>  *
>  * Retrieve the path of the supervisor binary
>  */
> char *virLockManagerGetSupervisorPath(virLockManagerPtr manager);
>
> /**
>  * virLockManager:
>  * @manager: the lock manager context
>  *
>  * Retrieve the security context of the supervisor binary
>  */
> char *virLockManagerGetSupervisorContext(virLockManagerPtr manager);
>

> /**
>  * virLockManager:
>  * @manager: the lock manager context
>  * @argv: returned argument values
>  * @argc: returned argument count
>  *
>  * Retrieve custom argv to pass to the supervisor binary
>  * ahead of the normal process binary & argv. It is recommended
>  * that the last argv be '--' to allow reliable determination
>  * of the last supervisor arg.
>  */
> int virLockManagerGetSupervisorArgs(virLockManagerPtr manager,
>                                     char ***argv,
>                                     int *argc,
>                                     unsigned int flags);
>
> /**
>  * virLockManagerPrepareMigrate:
>  * @manager: the lock manager context
>  * @targetURI: destination of the migration
>  *
>  * Notify the supevisor that the process is about to be migrated
[SM] I don't think migration is a topic that should be managed in the
lock level. Further more in sync_manager's case there are situation
where you cannot perform a clean handover (like when the source host
looses connection to the storage and we are migrating to another host to
solve this).
As I stated in my previous e-mail you think that lock handover is a
needlessly complex use case to have a special algorithm for in
sync_manager. Just releasing in the source side and reacquiring on the
target (and making sure no one got in the middle) before starting the
migration is simpler.
You could put it in a special verb for handovers that implements this
logic but I don't think it should be in the lock API but rather in a
higher API level