[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] QEMU interfaces for image streaming and post-copy block migration

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Sun Sep 12 15:23:40 UTC 2010

On 09/12/2010 08:40 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Why would it serialize all I/O operations?  It's just like another
> vcpu issuing reads.

Because the block layer isn't re-entrant.

>> What you basically do is:
>>
>> stream_step_three():
>>    complete()
>>
>> stream_step_two(offset, length):
>>    bdrv_aio_readv(offset, length, buffer, stream_step_three)
>>
>> bdrv_aio_stream():
>>     bdrv_aio_find_free_cluster(stream_step_two)
>
> Isn't there a write() missing somewhere?

Streaming relies on copy-on-read to do the writing.

>> And that's exactly what the current code looks like.  The only change
>> to the patch that this does is make some of qed's internals be block
>> layer interfaces.
>
> Why do you need find_free_cluster()?  That's a physical offset thing.
> Just write to the same logical offset.
>
> IOW:
>
>     bdrv_aio_stream():
>         bdrv_aio_read(offset, stream_2)

It's an optimization.  If you've got a fully missing L1 entry, then
you're going to memset() 2GB worth of zeros.  That's just wasted work.
With a 1TB image with a 1GB allocation, it's a huge amount of wasted work.

>     stream_2():
>         if all zeros:
>             increment offset
>             if more:
>                 bdrv_aio_stream()
>        bdrv_aio_write(offset, stream_3)
>
>     stream_3():
>         bdrv_aio_write(offset, stream_4)

I don't understand why stream_3() is needed.

http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/aliguori.git/commitdiff/d44ea43be084cc879cd1a33e1a04a105f4cb7637?hp=34ed425e7dd39c511bc247d1ab900e19b8c74a5d

>>> You can do that in bdrv_stream(), above, before the actual write,
>>> and call bdrv_unmap() if you detect zeros.
>>
>> My QED branch now does that FWIW.  At the moment, it only detects
>> zero reads to unallocated clusters and writes a special zero cluster
>> marker.  However, the detection code is in the generic path so once
>> the fsck() logic is working, we can implement a free list in QED.
>>
>> In QED, the detection code needs to have a lot of knowledge about
>> cluster boundaries and the format of the device.  In principle, this
>> should be common code but it's not for the same reason copy-on-write
>> is not common code today.
>
> Parts of it are: commit.  Of course, that's horribly synchronous.

If you've got AIO internally, making commit work is pretty easy.  Doing
asynchronous commit at a generic layer is not easy though unless you
expose lots of details.

Generally, I think the block layer makes more sense if the interface to
the formats are high level and code sharing is achieved not by mandating
a world view but rather but making libraries of common functionality.
This is more akin to how the FS layer works in Linux.

So IMHO, we ought to add a bdrv_aio_commit function, turn the current
code into a generic_aio_commit, implement a qed_aio_commit, then somehow
do qcow2_aio_commit, and look at what we can refactor into common code.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori