[libvirt] XML support for arbitrary command line arguments

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 14 10:44:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 08:27:38PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 07:43 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >The other interesting question to me is actually what todo in the guest
> >with this. I think for this to be useful we really want some kind of
> >magic in udev to automatically mount the filesystem based on the
> >mount tag data, and in particular define some kind of rule / semantics
> >for the mount tag otherwise every OS is going to interpret this
> >differently making it a real pain to work with.
>
> Is it reasonable cross platform to then "share" the selected host
> directories internally with the guest, using (say) NFS or CIFS?
>
> Picking those two because they cover 90% (guess) of what the guest OS's
> already have client software to mount, and we don't have to reinvent the
> wheel.  ie we can add dependencies on (say) samba or such for people
> that want the option.

You can already do that today with any HV, but its a PITA because it
requires networking. You may wish to provide the filesystem to the
guest OS before networking has been brought online inside the guest,
or the guest may be on a completely separate LAN from the host. You
don't always know just how networking has been configured in the guest
and whether a firewall will block access to the network fielsystem.
Pretty much all hypervisors have some kind of host<->guest filesystem
that avoids use of the network for these reasons.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|