[libvirt] XML support for arbitrary command line arguments

Venkateswararao Jujjuri (JV) jvrao at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Sep 20 23:07:32 UTC 2010

On 9/14/2010 9:34 AM, Venkateswararao Jujjuri (JV) wrote:
> On 9/14/2010 2:43 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:03:04AM +0530, Harsh Bora wrote:
>>> As QEMU provides support for accessing such shared directory with the
>>> help of 9p server, and therefore need to be passed additional
>>> commandline argument while starting, I wanted to test it using XML and
>>> libvirt.
>>
>>> So, if the idea looks good to everyone, we can have something like:
>>>
>>> <shareddir fstype=local path='/folder/to/share' mount_tag='unique_tag'
>>> security_model='as_applicable'>
>
> fstype may not be 'local' all the time. So in the XML description, I would
> propose something like
> fstype='filesystem type' or something like that. For now only QEMU supports local.
> This keyword represents all local filesystems like ext3/ext4 etc.
>>
>> We already have an XML syntax defined for filesystems using
>> the<filesystem> element. I've proposed an impl for QEMU using
>> p9fs before, but we didn't apply it yet.
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2010-July/msg00458.html

Taking a closer look at the Danial's patch above, it covers almost all our needs.
Except that the fstype and security models are hard coded.

+    virBufferAddLit(&opt, "local,security_model=mapped");

Any reason why it was not taken yet?

Harsh, I would suggest to you take this patch as base and build on it to remove
above hard coded string.

Daniel, any suggestions on that?

Thanks,
JV