[libvirt] XML support for arbitrary command line arguments

Venkateswararao Jujjuri (JV) jvrao at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Sep 21 19:42:54 UTC 2010

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 04:07:32PM -0700, Venkateswararao Jujjuri (JV) wrote:

>>> fstype may not be 'local' all the time. So in the XML description, I would
>>> propose something like
>>> fstype='filesystem type' or something like that. For now only QEMU
>>> supports local.
>>> This keyword represents all local filesystems like ext3/ext4 etc.

>> Taking a closer look at the Danial's patch above, it covers almost all our
>> needs.
>> Except that the fstype and security models are hard coded.
>
> fstype is hardcoded to local only in so much as there aren't
> any other options in QEMU for fstype. If QEMU adds other
> fstype options, we'll extend<filesystem type='XXXX'>  to
> cover them. Currently type='bind' in the XML maps to fstype=local
> in QEMU.

local is the only option now. But we expect it to have more options sooner if
not later. It will be great if there is a way we can make it a tag/variable in
this attempt.
If you think it is better to deal with it later..sure we can live with that. :)

>> +    virBufferAddLit(&opt, "local,security_model=mapped");
>>
>> Any reason why it was not taken yet?
>
> I wanted to decide on best setting for security model. I think it
> might be better to make it use passthrough by default, since that
> gives better interoperability for users with matching host/guest
> IDs.

Sure passthrough is the most compatible option. Can you please explain
what do you mean by "best setting"? you mean the tag name?
Can we introduce new tags for security_mode and fstype(instead of overloading
type=bind)?

Thanks,
JV