[libvirt] Error starting VM as a root user, but works fine as a normal (non-root) user

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Sep 23 17:34:41 UTC 2010

On 09/22/2010 11:45 PM, Harsh Bora wrote:
> [harsh at harshbora libvirt]$ sudo virsh create ~/testVMs/my_vm.xml
> error: Failed to create domain from /home/harsh/testVMs/my_vm.xml
> error: internal error cannot parse
> /home/harsh/local/qemu/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 version number in ''

It looks like the attempt to execute 'path/to/qemu-system-x86_64
-version' is failing, leaving an empty string instead of version output.
  Could this be a SELinux issue preventing the execution of a file as
root that doesn't have proper labelling?  Does an strace yield any hints?

> [harsh at harshbora libvirt]$ virsh create ~/testVMs/my_vm.xml
> Domain my_vm created from /home/harsh/testVMs/my_vm.xml

Particularly since the same file can be executed as non-root?