[libvirt] RFC: add <currentVcpu> element

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 21:28:39 UTC 2010

On 09/27/2010 02:26 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>>>    <vcpu current="2">4</vcpu>
>>>
>>> instead
>>
>> Possible, but consider that we have:
>>
>> <domain ...>
>>    <memory>256</memory>
>>    <currentMemory>128</memory>
>> </domain>
>>
>> So I was modeling after<memory>/<currentMemory>  for consistency.
>> Preferences on whether the parallel element or the attribute
>> approach is better?
>
> Well, the attribute cpuset possible on vcpu which indicate on which
> physical CPU the virtual CPUs may be mapped would make as much sense if
> not more on currentVcpu instead. Also both attributes are indications
> used for domain startup. So I think it's a bit more coherent in the
> end to have current on the vcpu as an attribute. It's not a big deal
> though, but I assume the change for the patch is trivial, just a change
> of XPath expression.

Fair enough.  With <memory>/<currentMemory>, there are no attributes;
but since <vcpu> already has an attribute, adding another attribute
instead of a parallel element makes the use of <vcpu
cpuset="...">n</vcpu> less confusing.  I'm adjusting my current work
accordingly (and yes, it is a pretty trivial switch).