[libvirt] libvirt 0.9.0 crashes on first start since boot

Thomas Treutner thomas at scripty.at
Fri Apr 15 13:03:10 UTC 2011

Am 14.04.2011 17:34, schrieb Laine Stump:
> On 04/14/2011 06:47 AM, Thomas Treutner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded to 0.9.0 today on my Debian Squeeze boxes. Everything
>> went fine, expect on one node (and only on that one, although the
>> setup is identical), the first start of libvirtd since boot (and
>> again, only that start) crashes with SEGV.
>>
>> Here are traces from gdb:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/DiZrw0S5
>> http://pastebin.com/eacJRv07
>>
>> If I delete the PID-file and start libvirtd again, it works fine. It
>> doesn't seem to matter when the first start since boot happens, I've
>> deactivated startup of libvirtd at boot time.
>>
>> Any ideas or further infos needed?
>
> Aside from Michal's fix to the error *recovery*, the more interesting
> question is why this is now failing.
>
> The bits of system log we can see in the pastebin shows that dnsmasq
> failed with an exit code of 2. From the manpage, this means:
>
> 2 - A problem with network access occurred (address in use, attempt to
> use privileged ports without permission).
>
> Do you have a system instance of dnsmasq already running? (perhaps it's
> already listening on all interfaces) Can you send the output of "dnsmasq
> -v; ps -AlF | grep dnsmasq"?

Indeed:

root at node05:~# dnsmasq -v; ps -AlF | grep dnsmasq
Dnsmasq version 2.55  Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Simon Kelley
Compile time options IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus I18N DHCP TFTP

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or 3.
5 S dnsmasq   2647     1  0  80   0 -  5981 -        856   3 14:54 ?
     00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -x /var/run/dnsmasq/dnsmasq.pid -u
dnsmasq -7 /etc/dnsmasq.d,.dpkg-dist,.dpkg-old,.dpkg-new
0 S root      3544  3473  0  80   0 -  2180 -        852   3 14:56 pts/0
    00:00:00 grep dnsmasq

I removed dnsmasq startup from the runlevel, now it works fine. I have
seen dnsmasq errors for a long time, but I didn't really care too much
about, as I don't need dnsmasq and the warnings didn't stop libvrit from
working. I think I'll just deinstall dnsmasq.

> Also, does the directory
> /usr/local/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq exist?

Jep:

# ls /usr/local/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq
default.leases

thanks,