[libvirt] libvirt 0.9.0 crashes on first start since boot

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Apr 19 04:38:15 UTC 2011

On 04/18/2011 12:50 PM, Thomas Treutner wrote:
> On 04/17/2011 11:31 AM, Laine Stump wrote:
>> On 04/15/2011 09:03 AM, Thomas Treutner wrote:
>>>
>>> I removed dnsmasq startup from the runlevel, now it works fine. I have
>>> seen dnsmasq errors for a long time, but I didn't really care too much
>>> about, as I don't need dnsmasq and the warnings didn't stop libvrit
>>> from working. I think I'll just deinstall dnsmasq.
>>
>> Are you sure you want to uninstall dnsmasq, and not just disable it in
>> the system config? If you uninstall dnsmasq, libvirt will fail to start
>> the virtual networks - it uses dnsmasq to provide DNS for those networks
>> even if you don't specify a dhcp range or hosts.
>
> Thanks for info, but I've not experienced such problems in my setup. I
> have a bridged network for the guests, static IPs and my DNS server in
> the guests /etc/resolv.conf - and everything works fine that way. I
> assume I don't need dnsmasq in such a setup?

Ah, so even though you have a <network> defined ("default", which is
there when you install libvirt), you don't use it, so the failure to
bring it up isn't an issue for you (as long as you don't mind the error
message each time you restart libvirt). (dnsmasq is only setup/used for
the virtual networks).

If you're not using the default network, you might want to delete it...