[libvirt] virsh: Can't create .vmdk virtual disk over vCenter while over ESX it works well

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:02:36 UTC 2011

2011/4/6 computernews at rambler.ru <computernews at rambler.ru>:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to create the virtual disk over "virsh". My target is the ESX
> server that is a part of the vCenter. That is why I connect to it using the
> vpx://-like URL. The connection itself is being established correctly.
> Commands like "list --all", "dumpxml <machine>" "vol-dumpxml <volume>" work
> perfectly well. What doesn't work for me at the moment is "vol-create --file
> <xml_file> --pool <my_pool>". I would suspect that I am passing some
> parameters incorrectly and would be digging more into a documentation but I
> am getting the following response from the server:
>
> virsh # vol-create --file vadp4.xml --pool "iscsi-esx4-1"
> error: Failed to create vol from vadp4.xml
> error: internal error Could not create volume: NotImplemented - Der
> angeforderte
>  Vorgang wird vom Server nicht implementiert.
>
> I have to admit that the very same command worked if I connect to ESX server
> directly (using esx://-like URL).
>
> My question is if it is planned to implement the virtual disk creation in
> case of vCentere is involved ?

The error message is a bit misleading, but expected. The
NotImplemented error actually comes from the vCenter Server, that
doesn't seem to support forwarding CreateVirtualDisk_Task calls to the
ESX servers. I haven't figured out yet how the vSphere Client
connected to a vCenter Server manages to do disk creation.

So you could consider this a missing workaround in libvirt, or the
lack of proper knowledge about how to do disk creation via a vCenter
Server.

Matthias