[libvirt] libvirt 0.9.0 crashes on first start since boot

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Apr 14 15:34:21 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 06:47 AM, Thomas Treutner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded to 0.9.0 today on my Debian Squeeze boxes. Everything
> went fine, expect on one node (and only on that one, although the
> setup is identical), the first start of libvirtd since boot (and
> again, only that start) crashes with SEGV.
>
> Here are traces from gdb:
>
> http://pastebin.com/DiZrw0S5
> http://pastebin.com/eacJRv07
>
> If I delete the PID-file and start libvirtd again, it works fine. It
> doesn't seem to matter when the first start since boot happens, I've
> deactivated startup of libvirtd at boot time.
>
> Any ideas or further infos needed?

Aside from Michal's fix to the error *recovery*, the more interesting
question is why this is now failing.

The bits of system log we can see in the pastebin shows that dnsmasq
failed with an exit code of 2. From the manpage, this means:

        2  - A problem with network access occurred (address in use,
attempt to
        use privileged ports without permission).

Do you have a system instance of dnsmasq already running? (perhaps it's
already listening on all interfaces) Can you send the output of "dnsmasq
-v; ps -AlF | grep dnsmasq"? Also, does the directory
/usr/local/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq exist?

(note that the log messages from iptables about the CHECKSUM target are
non-fatal, and just indicate that you need a newer kernel and iptables
before you can use virtio-net + guests with DHCP)