[libvirt] virsh memset

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 17:38:55 UTC 2011

On 04/14/2011 06:04 AM, Zvi Dubitzky wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anybody know if  'virsh memset' is working ok  with its parameters
> with the late  libvirt code
> (>= 0.8.8 )?   With what libcgroup version ?

'virsh memset' doesn't depend on cgroups.  It relies on the guest
honoring virtio ballooning requests.  Guests like Fedora are wired to do
this out of the box, but not all guests support it.  I'm not sure
whether the virtio drivers for Windows can do ballooning.  If a guest
can't honor ballooning, then you can't change current memory at runtime;
however, with very recent git (0.9.1), 'virsh memset --persistent' can
be used to modify the persistent storage to affect the memory usage on
the next guest boot.

Or are you referring to 'virsh memtune', which does indeed require
cgroup support, but does not require any guest interaction?