[libvirt] qemu-kvm>=0.14 is unable to boot

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Aug 4 01:49:08 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 01:16 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering what might be behind qemu-kvm>=0.14 is unable to boot
> except from PXE and perhaps virtio HDD.
>
> I mean, is somebody running qemu-kvm>=0.14 and libvirt-0.9.3/0.9.4
> around here, thus is my setup broken?

I had the problem that qemu-kvm-0.14 and libvirt-0.9.3 was unable to
boot a *virtio* disk (which is exactly the opposite of what you type,
but just in case that was a typo...). This was because qemu 0.14 was
advertising (in the help) that bootindex was available, and libvirt saw
that and told qemu to use it, but the version of seabios on my system
(Fedora 14, running seabios-0.6.0) was too old to support it, so the
boot failed. The solution was to add "<bootmenu enable='yes'/>" to the
guest's config, which forces it to not use bootindex, and thus the guest
will boot.