[libvirt] qemu-kvm>=0.14 is unable to boot

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Fri Aug 5 05:11:15 UTC 2011

On 08/04/11 20:16, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> On 08/04/11 03:49, Laine Stump wrote:
>> On 08/03/2011 01:16 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering what might be behind qemu-kvm>=0.14 is unable to boot
>>> except from PXE and perhaps virtio HDD.
>>>
>>> I mean, is somebody running qemu-kvm>=0.14 and libvirt-0.9.3/0.9.4
>>> around here, thus is my setup broken?
>>
>> I had the problem that qemu-kvm-0.14 and libvirt-0.9.3 was unable to
>> boot a *virtio* disk (which is exactly the opposite of what you type,
>> but just in case that was a typo...). This was because qemu 0.14 was
>> advertising (in the help) that bootindex was available, and libvirt saw
>> that and told qemu to use it, but the version of seabios on my system
>> (Fedora 14, running seabios-0.6.0) was too old to support it, so the
>> boot failed. The solution was to add "<bootmenu enable='yes'/>" to the
>> guest's config, which forces it to not use bootindex, and thus the guest
>> will boot.
>>
>> --
>
> Laine,
>
> first of all, thanks. It did solved problem for me with libvirt-0.9.4
> and qemu-kvm-0.15rc1. It is also solution for libvirt-0.9.3+ and
> qemu-kvm-0.14+.
>
> As for booting, I can honestly say whether virtio did boot or did not.
> And I have no way how to verify it right now(I have like one VM working
> so far in my new dev setup and still fiddling with kickstart).
> PXE did and didn't work, CD-ROM didn't, virtio ... I don't know. And
> perhaps it doesn't matter, because booting is broken.
> Is this "fix"/workaround noted somewhere? If not, it should be. And if
> told where/how, I volunteer to note it.
>
> As for seabios, I don't have one, or do I? I couldn't find it in
> packages/files, that's I'm sure of.
> Perhaps missing seabios is the problem?
>
> Zdenek

So I can confirm that booting off VirtIO disk. That is raw+LiLO and as
far as finding boot sector and showing up LiLO. Then I'm getting kernel
panic due to unable to open root-fs etc. Also booting off PXE works.
However SCSI disk doesn't work without "hack" mentioned above.

All with qemu-kvm-0.15rc1 and libvirt-0.9.4 without any "hacks". I'm not
going to play with lower versions, but I'm confident it's going to be
the same +/-.

Z.

--
Zdenek Styblik