[libvirt] Python stream callback removal

Guannan Ren gren at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 07:17:07 UTC 2011

On 08/09/2011 06:04 AM, Dave Allan wrote:
> I'm trying to write an example serial console implementation in python
> (attached), but I'm having some trouble getting stream events to do
> what I want.  The console itself works fine as long as the domain
> stays up, but as soon as the domain shuts down the python script goes
> into a tight loop repeatedly calling the stream event callback.
> Debugging indicates that the stream event callback is being requested
> to be removed, but it never actually is removed which makes me think I
> am not properly releasing some resource, but I was under the
> impression that an error on a stream resulting in the stream aborting
> was supposed to free all the resources for me.  Is that not correct?
>
> Thanks for any help anybody can provide,
> Dave
>

> --
        I tried it with rhel6u1 guest on rhel6u1 host,
        there are two problems that causes the problems.

        One is the position of console=tty0 and console=ttyS0, 9600n8 in
grub.conf
        It's ok for me using as follows:
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-131.0.15.el6.x86_64 ro
root=/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_root
rd_LVM_LV=VolGroup/lv_swap console=tty0 rhgb quiet console=ttyS0,9600n8

        The other one is to add a check to the value of "receivedData",
        if it is "" string, stop the while loop by set run_console to
False like it in stdin_callback function

        The tight loop caused by the continuous calling to
virEventRunDefaultImpl()
        when no data left in stream.

        I attached a modified copy of your scripts and tested it.