[libvirt] Availability of 0.9.4 candidate release 2 rc1

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 1 10:02:13 UTC 2011

2011/8/1 Wen Congyang <wency at cn.fujitsu.com>:
> At 07/30/2011 03:02 PM, Daniel Veillard Write:
>> I actually tagged and pushed the rc2 tarball and rpms yesterday
>> but completely forgot to send the associated mail, oops !
>>
>>    ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-0.9.4-rc2.tar.gz
>>
>> Hopefully it fixes most of the problems raised with rc1, including
>> a number of leaks. Please report and if you had an issue with rc1
>> which is still not fixed there (or in git) please raise it ASAP.
>> I'm planning for the final release early Tuesday 2 morning (i.e.
>> late Monday for most :-)
>
> If client(for example: virsh) exits unexpectedly, it will cause libvirtd
> crashed.
>
> Steps to reproduce this problem(vm1 does not run):
> 1. for ((i=0; i < 50; i++)); do virsh managedsave vm1 & done; killall virsh
>
> The reason is that we free virNetServerClient when the refs is not 0.

I'm not sure what you mean here. virNetClientFree frees the client
when the last ref is removed.

> I read the code under the directory src/rpc/, and find we have xxxRef(), but
> we do not have xxxUnref(). And sometimes we free the data structure if ref is
> not 0. We add an reference of the data structure, but sometimes we forget to
> unref it.

We already have an unref function it's called virNetClientFree.

Are you referring to virNetClientClose that closes the connection and
frees parts of the client?

I tried to figure out the cleanup and ref counting logic in the RPC
code in order to fix a memory leak triggered by virsh.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-July/msg02011.html

It's complex and I don't understand it completely, as there is ref
counting on multiple levels that is entangled with the event loop.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com