[libvirt] RFCv2: virDomainSnapshotCreateXML enhancements

Philipp Hahn hahn at univention.de
Fri Aug 12 08:56:54 UTC 2011

Hello Kevin,

Am Freitag 12 August 2011 10:04:07 schrieb Kevin Wolf:
> Am 12.08.2011 09:18, schrieb Philipp Hahn:
> >>
> >> Offline snapshot means that it's only a disk snapshot, so I don't think
> >> there is any problem with changing the hardware configuration before
> >> restoring it.
> >>
> >> Or does libvirt try to provide something like offline checkpoints, where
> >> restoring would not only restore the disk but also roll back the libvirt
> >> configuration?
> >
> > Try to load a VM state with the memory size changed in between and your
> > VM is busted; been there, experienced that :-( So it's nice to do a
> > snapshot before you play with your virtual hardware configuration and can
> >
> > For -loadvm to work you have to call kvm with the nearly same command
> > line arguments again; what may change you probably know better than me.
> > For I thinks it's essential to store the VM consiguration with the
> > snapshot, which would be the qemu command line arguments, which is
> > equivalent to libvirts XML description.
>
> Yes, I understand this. I was talking about snapshots taken while the VM
> is shut off, where it's not as clear.

I think is very useful for offline snapshots too, since your VM might depends
on the exact qemu command line: think of (incomplete) RAIDs or udevs
persistent MAC address rules.

> But for consistency it's probably
> better to do the same with offline and online snapshots, so what libvirt
> implements (or was it only Eric's plan?) is fine here.

Currently as of libvirt-0.9.4 the domain configuration is not saved with the
snapshot. I have implemented that for our internal 0.8.4 version as a working
proof-on-concept, but Eric is now reviewing the whole picture.

Sincerely
Philipp
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for Your Business        fon: +49 421 22 232- 0