[libvirt] Bug - libvirt persists on having dnsmasq

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Mon Aug 15 05:34:51 UTC 2011

On 08/14/11 16:49, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> On 08/14/11 16:17, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed libvirt is persisting to have dnsmasq present and use it.
>> Version of libvirt in question is 0.9.4.
>>
>> There is no dnsmasq present on the Host during libvirt compilation, yet
>> it seems to me ./configure wrongfully finds one:
>>
>> ~~~ SNIP ~~~
>> configure:46087: checking for dnsmasq
>> configure:46119: result: dnsmasq
>> ~~~ SNIP ~~~
>>
>> shouldn't there be "result: no"? As far as I remember - no dnsmasq
>> present during compilation, no usage of it later. However I might have
>> missed something - change in behavior, requirements etc. This is
>> possible. Still, if required "component" is missing, I say compilation
>> resp. configure should fail.
>>
>> And this of course breaks things later on:
>>
>> ~~~ SNIP ~~~
>> virsh # net-start virtnet01
>> error: Failed to start network virtnet01
>> error: Cannot find 'dnsmasq' in path: No such file or directory
>> ~~~ SNIP ~~~
>>
>> and there is no DHCP defined for 'virtnet01' thus there is no reason to
>> bring dnsmasq in. Neither can be new network created and started via
>> virt-manager.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Zdenek
>>

> Yet strange enough, 'default' virtual network gets started without any
> problems.
>
> I've tried unsuccessfully hack around this "problem". The far I got was:
> "error: Cannot find '' in path: No such file or directory".
>
> Z.

Also, dnsmasq not required for NAT-ed networks.

And libvirt-0.9.3 doesn't have this dependency resp. works as I've
written above - no dnsmasq during compilation, no dnsmasq dependency later.
May be some of the patches in Changelog introduced this kind of
dependency? I've seen patches regarding return-codes from dnsmasq.

Z.

--
Zdenek Styblik
email: stybla at turnovfree.net