[libvirt] Bug - libvirt persists on having dnsmasq

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Aug 16 13:15:12 UTC 2011

On 08/14/2011 10:49 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> On 08/14/11 16:17, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed libvirt is persisting to have dnsmasq present and use it.
>> Version of libvirt in question is 0.9.4.
>>
>> There is no dnsmasq present on the Host during libvirt compilation, yet
>> it seems to me ./configure wrongfully finds one:
>>
>> ~~~ SNIP ~~~
>> configure:46087: checking for dnsmasq
>> configure:46119: result: dnsmasq
>> ~~~ SNIP ~~~
>>
>> shouldn't there be "result: no"? As far as I remember - no dnsmasq
>> present during compilation, no usage of it later. However I might have
>> missed something - change in behavior, requirements etc. This is
>> possible. Still, if required "component" is missing, I say compilation
>> resp. configure should fail.

Well, libvirt.spec has had Require: dnsmasq for at least a couple years,
so any install of a libvirt rpm should fail when dnsmasq isn't present.
I don't know for certain how long the BuildRequires: dnsmasq has been
there, but certainly for at least a year (the last time the line was
modified), so any rpm builds should also fail.

But of course if you're running ./autogen.sh and then make, that doesn't
involve the specfile.

dnsmasq really is an integral part of the network driver; I don't know
that it makes any sense to "fix" things so it can be built without
dnsmasq. It's probably a good idea to make the failure complete though.