[libvirt] virt-manager, debug error, question

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 19:45:06 UTC 2011

On 08/19/2011 01:27 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting this error when I run virt-manager in FreeBSD:
>
> [Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:32:14 virt-manager 24762] DEBUG (engine:555) No
> inspection thread because libguestfs is too old, not available, or libvirt
> is not thread safe.
>
> libguestfs isn't ported to FreeBSD, however I was wondering about the
> thread
> safe for libvirt. Is there a way to "enable" this, or is the software
> telling me it really is not thread safe, and can't be.
>
> [jhelfman at eggman ~/ports/devel/libvirt/work/libvirt-0.9.4]$ ./configure
> --help |grep thread
> --enable-threads={posix|solaris|pth|win32}

posix threads should be enabled by default in libvirt (except on mingw,
where it is win32), without you having to do anything special, and
should just work out of the box.  I'm not sure why virt-manager is
complaining about a non-thread-safe libvirt; libvirt was converted to be
thread-safe in something like the 0.6.x timeframe (long before I started
working on it).  So I think that you are chasing a red herring with
libvirt, and that the real problem is indeed that virt-manager is
warning you that it can't use libguestfs.