[libvirt] XML files

Derek lists at stuntkiwi.com
Wed Aug 24 04:02:45 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm running KVM on Debian squeeze.  I have some requirements on a new VM to provide customised BIOS vendor/product strings, from my experience so far this is accomplish with the sysinfo/smbios support.  So I have added these to the XML file for my VM.

I found 'virsh edit' is the recommended way to make changes to a VM configuration, I find the XML file is not referenced at boot, it is only saved to with 'virsh dumpxml'.  'virsh edit' will update both areas - hypervisor and XML file.

Unfortunately the changes I make for smbios and sysinfo (as below) while editing don't appear to be accepted when saving with 'virsh edit'.  After saving I receive "Domain HMC XML configuration edited." but the XML file remains unmodified.  I wonder if they are perhaps not supported with virsh edit yet?

  <sysinfo type='smbios'>
    <bios>
      <entry name='vendor'>xxx xxx</entry>
      <entry name='version'>xxx</entry>
    </bios>
    <system>
      <entry name='product'>xxx</entry>
      <entry name='version'>xxx</entry>
      <entry name='manufacturer'>xxx xxx</entry>
    </system>
  </sysinfo>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-0.12'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <smbios mode='sysinfo'/>
  </os>

Thanks in advance,