[libvirt] XML files

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 13:41:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:02:45PM +1200, Derek wrote:
> Unfortunately the changes I make for smbios and sysinfo (as below)
> while editing don't appear to be accepted when saving with 'virsh
> edit'.  After saving I receive "Domain HMC XML configuration
> edited." but the XML file remains unmodified.  I wonder if they are
> perhaps not supported with virsh edit yet?

This is just a general problem with virsh edit: it doesn't validate
the XML, and it doesn't offer to re-edit invalid changes.  Thus
whenever you make a mistake in the XML it gets dropped.

For more info and a proposed fix see this thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2011-August/thread.html#00660

To workaround this, do it the old way:

  virsh dumpxml HMC > hmc.xml
  edit hmc.xml
  virsh define hmc.xml
  iterate edit/virsh define steps until you get it right

Which version of libvirt?  According to the documentation <sysinfo>
was added in 0.8.7.

The fragment below looks reasonable, but there could be an XML error
in the context of the whole XML document.

>   <sysinfo type='smbios'>
>     <bios>
>       <entry name='vendor'>xxx xxx</entry>
>       <entry name='version'>xxx</entry>
>     </bios>
>     <system>
>       <entry name='product'>xxx</entry>
>       <entry name='version'>xxx</entry>
>       <entry name='manufacturer'>xxx xxx</entry>
>     </system>
>   </sysinfo>
>   <os>
>     <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-0.12'>hvm</type>
>     <boot dev='cdrom'/>
>     <smbios mode='sysinfo'/>
>   </os>

Rich.