[libvirt] virsh console giving Error

Amit Tewari Amit.Tewari at nechclst.in
Mon Dec 12 07:05:34 UTC 2011

Hi,
I am using libvirt 0.9.7

-----Original Message-----
From: Kashyap Chamarthy [mailto:kchamart at redhat.com]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2011 12:32 PM
To: Amit Tewari
Cc: libvir-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [libvirt] virsh console giving Error

On 12/12/2011 12:16 PM, Amit Tewari wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Following is my test environment
>
> Host os= rhel6.1
>
> Guest os=rhel6.1
>
> Hypervisor - kvm
>

> I have a created a guest machine using virt-install command. And it
has created guest
> successfully.
>
> But now when I issue following command
>
> #virsh console guest
>

> Following error is displayed -
>

> "Error: internal error character device (null) is not using a PTY"
>

> Please let me no how can I avoid this error.

You have not specified what distribution, version of libvirt are you
using.

First, can you ensure if you have serial console set up in your guest by
checking if you
have the below directives in your guest kernel's command line options
(in /etc/grub.conf)

----
console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200
----

If not, you can add it by running the below (ensure the guest is
shut-off):

# virt-edit guest /etc/grub.conf

'virt-edit' tool comes with libguestfs-tools-c package.

--
/kashyap

> Regards
>
> Amit Tewari
>

> --

DISCLAIMER:
intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECHCL or its
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of NECHCL or its affiliates.
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. .