[libvirt] Release of libvirt-0.9.8

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 18:16:55 UTC 2011

On 12/12/2011 11:08 AM, Jason Helfman wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 05:46:17PM +0800, Daniel Veillard thus spake:
>> One month exactly after the previous release, 0.9.8 is available at
>>   ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/
>>
>> This release is a balanced mix of new features, improvements and
>> various bug fixes, and with a higher than usual amount of portability
>> fixes:
>>

> I noticed that with this release that a sysctl tunable entered into the
> mix:
> fs.aio-max-nr = 1048576
>
> Is this something that is in the BSD kernel, or no. I don't see a variable
> with this name.

sysctl tunables sound like they are Linux-specific.  And the actual
installation of libvirtd.sysctl was introduced in 0.9.7 (commit
5298551), not 0.9.8.

But there was some Makefile.am refactoring for 0.9.8 related to
installation of systemd init scripts for Linux; perhaps that
re-factoring exposed a problem with installing libvirtd.sysctl on
non-Linux systems?

> Is there a way to gracefully disable this during the build, if it is not
> needed?

Sounds like we need a patch to daemon/Makefile.am to disable
installation of the sysctl file on non-Linux systems.