[libvirt] macvtap nt working on kvm

Stefan Berger stefanb at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Dec 14 19:26:39 UTC 2011

On 12/14/2011 07:40 AM, Amit Tewari wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My test environment
>
> Host os=rhel6.1
>
> Guest os = rhel6.1
>
> Libvirt=0.8.7
>
> Kvm hypervisor
>
> I have made this entry in guest xml file
>
> <interface type='direct'>
>
> <source dev='eth0' mode='bridge'/>
>
> <model type='virtio'/>
>
> <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03'
> function='0x0'/>
>
> </interface>
>
> Now when I start the guest
>
> *#virsh start guest*
>
> Following macvtap0 is created on host and is shown below
>
> #*ip link show macvtap0*
>
> 51: macvtap0 at eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq
> state UNKNOWN qlen 500
>
>     link/ether 52:54:00:55:AE:B5brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> but when the guest is up and I try to perform
>
> **
>
> *# ifup eth0*
>
> *eth0 has same mac address as that of macvatap0 that is
>  52:54:00:55:AE:B5*
>
> **
>
> *due to this guest is not able to get dhcp address nor static ip
> address is working*.
>
> Please let me know how macvtap work on kvm.

I have tried your setup on my machine with the following host configuration:

# brctl show
bridge name    bridge id        STP enabled    interfaces
br0        8000.001a64d00016    no        eth0
virbr0        8000.000000000000    yes

If I use the configuration as you have shown it doesn't work for me,
either. However, if I use

<source dev='br0' mode='bridge'/>

then it works as expected. Do you happen to have a similar configuration
on the host with the interface the macvtap device wants to use as
'source' being bridged?

    Stefan