[libvirt] Modern CPU models cannot be used with libvirt

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Thu Dec 15 14:54:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

Recently I realized that all modern CPU models defined in
/etc/qemu/target-x86_64.conf are useless when qemu is used through libvirt.
That's because we start qemu with -nodefconfig which results in qemu ignoring
that file with CPU model definitions. We have a very good reason for using
-nodefconfig because we need to control the ABI presented to a guest OS and we
don't want any configuration file that can contain lots of things including
device definitions to be read by qemu. However, we would really like the new
CPU models to be understood by qemu even if used through libvirt. What would
be the best way to solve this?

I suspect this could have been already discussed in the past but obviously a
workable solution was either not found or just not implemented.

Jirka