[libvirt] question of kvm

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 14:12:47 UTC 2011

On 12/21/2011 11:01 PM, hero wrote:

[please stick to plain-text emails on this list]

> I want to back up my VM including my own data, but the VM must be 'PASUED' or 'SHUT OFF' if  I use 'virt-clone', I want to know how to back up my VM when it's running like make a ghost of windows.

Right now, we don't yet have a good solution for creating a new VM based
on the contents of saved state from another running VM.  Domain
snapshots allow you to return to the state of an existing VM at the
point where you took the snapshot, but in doing so, you give up the
changes made since the last snapshot.

With live snapshot, you can save the state of disks with minimal guest
downtime, then clone those disks, and start up a new guest from the
cloned disks, but the new guest will have to fsck the disks, so it isn't
quite a perfect clone.

There's work under way to support guest quiescing, so that a disk
snapshot is more reliable.  And I'd like to someday make it possible to
clone a new guest starting from the RAM state of an existing running
guest.  Patches are welcome, both to qemu and libvirt.