[libvirt] FW: macvtap not working on rhel 6.1 x86 machine

Gerhard Stenzel gstenzel at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Dec 15 11:33:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 15:54 +0530, Amit Tewari wrote:
> hi,
>
> i want the kvm guest machine to connect to network using macvtap..
> I tried this vepa mode it is also not working.

where is your DHCP server? On the network or on your host?

> eth0 has same mac address as that of macvatap0 that is  52:54:00:55:AE:B5

this is correct. The mac address of eth0 in the guest is the same as
that of the macvtap device of the host.

> due to this guest is not able to get dhcp address nor static ip address is working.

it works for me. I am on 6.2 now, but this worked on 6.1 as well.

--
Best regards,

Gerhard Stenzel,
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen