[libvirt] possible 0.9.8 regression?

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Fri Dec 16 03:33:20 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I've noticed a regression in libvirt 0.9.8 on some of my kvm test machines

# virsh start opensuse12
error: Failed to start domain opensuse12
error: Cannot open network interface control socket: Permission denied

Opening a control socket for setting MAC addr, etc. failed with EACCES.
In 0.9.7, the socket was opened with domain AF_INET, type SOCK_STREAM,
which of course works on this system.  In 0.9.8, the socket is opened
with AF_PACKET, SOCK_DGRAM.  Interestingly, a small test program calling
'socket(AF_PACKET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0)' works on this system.

libvirt is built with '--without-capng --without-apparmor
--without-selinux' and libvirtd is running with uid=euid=0.

I'm really baffled why this fails in libvirtd but works otherwise.  Any
ideas?

Thanks,
Jim