[libvirt] draft ~ l10n/i18n

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Feb 7 10:59:36 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011, at 6:00 AM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
<snip>
> We are glad you've decided to help with
> localization/internationalization of libvirt. Before you do anything
> else, stop!

Good intention, but the wording of "Before you do anything else, stop!"
could put some people off.  I'd just remove that phrase, as the next one
"Please, pay attention ..." gives the warning of "this stuff is important
to read" anyway.

> Please, pay attention to following lines to save yourself from eventual
> pitfalls.
>
> '.po' files located in this directory are synchronized from Fedora
> Project[https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/p/libvirt/], thus
> it makes little sense to start translating them.

It's not bad, but still not 100% clear.  Probably slightly clarify it
to mention ".po" files in the *libvirt po/ source code directory* (etc) just
so there's no doubt at all.  Also with the wording "... little sense to start
translating them." it probably needs the word "directly" just after the "them".

> Here are two ways how you can translate and contribute:
>
> ## Optimal way
>
> 1st step: Become translator

"Become a translator"

>  It's pointless to copy-paste how-to from Fedora Project.

"... from the Fedora Project".  (the "the" is needed)

>  How to become translator is described here -

"How to become a translator ..."

> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Contributor_Documentation/1/html/Translation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html
>
>  This might take some time not only to read, but to get processed.

"get processed" is kind of unclear, because in English it has a few
potential meanings, including "for the person reading to understand".  (hard to describe)

Might be better to say something like:

 "This might take some time to read, and then to complete all of the instructions."

<snip>
> 4th step: Upload translated file
>
>  !!! This point is still a mystery !!!
>  Upload modified file via web interface.

Same here.  We need advice from someone who's done it. :)

The rest of the draft from "Alternate way" onwards sounds workable as it is. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift